Friday, March 9, 2012

I forgot...


A lot has happened since my last post - I gave birth to Theodore Joseph Ahouse, thus making Dave and I parent of 2 and Sophia a big sister.

I'll post more about the actual birth and good stuff, but right now, it's all about the "new" life. Things I totally forgot about, in terms of having a newborn, and assumptions I made:

1) A toddler is FAR more work than a newborn. Physical energy required at all times. A newborn may not sleep all that much, but once he's fed and in his swing, he has no issue if I make a phone call, jump on the computer or read a book (that doesn't have pictures.) The same is not true for toddlers.

2) I can survive on minimal amounts of sleep. I don't like it, but I can. And I have been spoiled by the fact Sophia has been an amazing sleeper for most all of her life.

3) Newborns are not breakable (well, without trying anyway) but they are still intimidating. I've gotten so used to manhandling Sophia (diaper changes, wrestling on socks & shoes, etc) that all of a sudden, this tiny, 7lb being seems so fragile. Until he's really wailing for his diaper to be changed and it's 3am. Then, common sense kicks in.

4) I forget what I was going to write...oh yes, walking into a room and forgetting why I was going there in the first place! (Thank god for Sophia reminding me to change Theo's diaper!)

5) Showering is good and necessary. A friend who is a nurse mentioned when patients don't want to shower, its a really bad sign. I have luckily managed one most every day.

6) It really does take a village - giving in to the fact I need help was a big hurdle to overcome. But between Dave, my mom, Lidiana, the neighbors and friends, we've managed to keep life fairly normal for everyone. See #7

7) The sun doesn't rise & fall completely on Theo's "schedule" - with Sophia, everything was about her sleeping & eating: at the right time, the right amount, not crying or whining. With Theo, I've quickly learned the importance of taking care of his needs but that the impatient toddler who really needs play doh also gets Mama's attention too.

8) Healing is hard work. I gave birth, it may have been quick, but it certainly isn't easy. Sleep for me is really, really important too.

9) How quickly 2 hours pass. 1 hour to eat and get diaper changed, about an hour of sleep and then rinse, repeat. Wow, the leash is short!

10) How easily Sophia would adjust to being a big sister. It wasn't looking good pre-baby. She's whine and cry and tantrum if we held someone else. Now, the first thing she wants in the morning is to see Baby Brother and give him a kiss. She makes sure to keep her voice down if he's sleeping and she's all about offering him Cherrios (happily, we've gotten the - he has no teeth but thank you for sharing -piece down really well).

11) How amazing my husband is and how he offers such great perspective. There is absolutely no way I could (on so many levels) ever do this without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment