As she is 2.9 years old, her development never ceases to amaze me. She is really and truly edging out of Toddler into post-toddler hood (or whatever it's called.)
The quick facts:
- Starting to work on potty training. She's got all the readiness, Mom & Dad just lacking the drive. We'll get there.
- Her language skills are amazing to me. She can sing full songs and talk in real sentences and ask funny questions. Happily, we haven't moved into the "Why" phase yet, but rather "What's that Mama?" which somehow I find far less grating. She also points out at traffic lights (with hand signals to match), "Red means stop." "Green means go." "Yellow means sloooow down caterpillar."
- Naps - she either naps epically - for 2-3 hours or is too excited to even bother napping at all. Less pleasant option, but she holds it together well.
- Bedtime sleep - she is still working her delay tactics (milk, water) but not as ferociously or frequently. We've done a lot to try to head them off at the pass.
- Skills - riding her bike like a champ. She loves to stick her legs out like a flying V as she goes down hill. It's awesome - we have to run to catch up. "Cooking" - she loves cooking in her kitchen and helping me with real cooking. She uses her whisk to put the final touches on the pancake batter during pancake Fridays. She can also climb into her car seat and buckle the top buckle. Makes getting everyone into the car a little quicker.
- Books - She runs the gamut on books. Current favorites are Down by the Cool of the Pool, Aesops Fox Fables, any "Boy" books that people have given to Theo. (This actually really excites me - she loves dump trucks and backhoe loaders and all sorts of trucks.)
- Garbage Trucks - She is obsessed with watching the garbage men. Nothing is cuter than Dave going in on Thursday mornings to wake her up to watch.
- Party Tricks - She has inherited my ability to play "Name that Tune" - she can guess most songs that she has heard before in the first 3-5 notes. If it's Gold on the Ceiling, 2 notes. Rumor Has it, 3. Old MacDonald - 1. She also is starting to recognize artists - She loves Little Lion Man by Mumford & Sons. She heard their new song on the radio the other day and said "It's the Lion Song...but different!" She also can sing all the lyrics to the songs as well.
- Endearing moment - when she & I get to sing Twinkle Twinkle before she goes to sleep. She just looks up at me. It's wonderful.