Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sleep Training...continued

After our little adventure the other evening, I figured it was time to really start the sleep training. I had been debating between using "The Sleep Lady" method and "The Ferber" method. I had both books and read them diligently. I also talked to lots of other moms who each had a case for the method they chose. Because Sophia is inherently a good sleeper and just needed help learning how to soothe herself to sleep, I figured that the Ferber method, which involves letting the baby "cry it out" but checking in and reassuring them at determined intervals, was going to be the way to go.

We had also been swaddling Sophia since the first month and I felt that she needed access to her hands in order to soothe herself (she's a big fan of her hands and fingers these days, as well as her squeaky Giraffe, who we've named Raffi).

So, with Dave at work (late appointments) I commenced the putting her to bed process, purposely keeping her outdoors lots all day and putting her down about 20 minutes later than her normal fall asleep time. (all per the book recommendations). I made sure she had a nice big bottle (she's up to about 6.5 oz before bed) and was snuggled in her new sleep sack, which gives access to her arms and hands, but ads a little bit of warmth.

I kissed her as I put her into the crib and she just looked at me. And started to cry. But because I knew this was the best thing for both of us, I was fine telling her how much I loved her and shut the door.

She cried on and off for about 30 minutes. I went in to check at 3, 5, 7 and 10 minute intervals. Sometime during the 10 minute interval, she was quiet and asleep. It was amazing. It was before 9pm and all was well. I got lots of my little tasks done (laundry, diapers, etc) and knew that the sweet one was sound asleep.

We heard a little stirring from her around 11, but after 2 quick check ins, she was sound asleep till 7am. Dave and I both peaked our heads into her room and she was happily talking to herself in her crib and playing with Raffi. We scooped her up and started the day. It was great.
But we still had to conquer naps...

No comments:

Post a Comment