Saturday, May 22, 2010

More fun with Solids

It's been 2 full weeks that Sophia has been eating solids and all in all, it's been a good experience. We've tackled Sweet Potatoes (possibly her favorite), Carrots (yum), Advocado (weird consistency - difficult to get mashed/pureed thinly enough) and Bananas (wow - a story in itself). I've been making the food myself, which is wonderfully easy, and freezing them in ice cube trays in the freezer. There are some great recipes on Wholesome Baby Foods. They really encourage adding flavor to what your making the baby, as babies are used to the flavor of whatever you eat coming through in the breast milk.
Clearly, though, she is enjoying the experience:



Our next investment are ice cube trays with covers on them - helps to prevent freezer burn, as I always mean to get them into baggies the same day I freeze them, but it doesn't always happen.

We tried Green Beans yesterday - our first green veggie. It was interesting - a completely different texture than the carrots or sweet potatoes, and not sweet like the bananas. I think she enjoyed them, but she had a full milk feeding before, so she was a bit disinterested after a short time. But here she is still engaged:



Yesterday was also a banana day. We had tried bananas earlier in the week (I'm trying to be good about waiting 3 days before introducing new foods, but sometimes I just give her a quick taste of what I'm eating as she is super-interested in it). I cut off a little bit of the banana and mashed it well with a fork and then added a bit of breast milk to it for consistency. She wolfed it down. So I cut her a little more. And a little more. Before I knew it, she had eaten half of a medium sized banana, and probably would have eaten more had I given it to her (but I figured nothing good would come of that. See next post...)

It's fun to feed her solids, but I have to say, it adds a whole other dimension to the feeding process. Just when I had gotten very comfortable with the breast feeding process and Sophia had become more efficient in her eating (we could be done in less than 25 minutes), we've now stretched the feeding process back out to an hour (sometimes more depending on the cleanup involved, which, with the carrots, can be quite lengthy!)



That leaves us about an hour to get out and back to run whatever errands we need to before the next nap. I don't mind it, it's just the newest challenge in time management. All part of the fun adventure of raising a child.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Sophia!

    We should totally play with our food (ahem, eat together ;-) sometime soon!

    Love,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete